Click here for the Department of Education link to the Primary School’s Sports Funding page.
What is the Sports Premium?
The Government is providing funding of £150 million per annum for academic years 2013/14 and 2014/15 to provide new, substantial primary school sport funding’. This funding is being jointly provided by the Departments for Education, Health and Culture, Media and Sport, and will see money going directly to primary school headteachers to spend on improving the quality of sport and PE for all their children.
The sport funding can only be spent on sport and PE provision in schools.
Purpose of Funding
Schools will have to spend the sport funding on improving their provision of PE and sport, but they will have the freedom to choose how they do this.
Possible uses for the funding include:
- Hiring specialist PE teachers or qualified sports coaches to work alongside primary teachers when teaching PE
- New or additional Change4Life sport clubs
- Paying for professional development opportunities in PE/sport
- Providing cover to release primary teachers for professional development in PE/sport
- Running sport competitions, or increasing participation in the school games
- Buying quality assured professional development modules or materials for PE/sportProviding places for pupils on after school sport clubs and holiday clubs
What is the Sports Premium?
The PE and Sport Premium is additional government funding for all primary schools to support the provision of Physical Education (PE) and sports.
The Government is providing funding of £320m to all primary schools to make additional and sustainable improvements to the quality of the PE, physical activity and in so doing, to support young people’s physical health as well as mental well-being. This funding is being jointly provided by the Departments for Education, Health and Culture, Media and Sport, and will see money going directly to primary school head teachers to spend on improving the quality of sport and PE for all their children.
How can the PE and Sports Premium be used?
The sport funding can only be spent on sport and PE provision in schools but individual schools have control on they do this.
Possible uses for the premium include:
- Hiring specialist PE coaches and PE teachers to work alongside staff in school teaching PE.
- Providing activities to support and involve children who are less active.
- Providing a range of extra-curricular sorts clubs which are open to all children.
- Encouraging physical activity at break times and lunchtimes.
- Encouraging pupils to take part in sport competitions against other schools and participating in the School Games.
- Paying for profession development opportunities for staff to develop PE skills.